From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:09:26 -0500
In my view, amateur radio has not been given the credit or attention that
it is due.  While many new technologies have been introduced in the past
few years, the things that make amateur radio a national and international
asset remain.  The main limitation to cellular telephone and internet
facilities is that they are generally maintained by a few companies at
specific locations, and when the infrastructure is seriously damaged, it
takes some time to redeploy equipment and restore service.  Amateur radio's
strength has always been its decentralized nature, being deistributed
throughout the general population.  Because it is more spread around
geographically than cellular systems, and is more portable than computer
technology, it is usually more survival in a time of disaster than other
systems.  Amateur radio networks work best when people in the general
population are free to make installations at their homes which are capable
of establishing reasonable communications over a regional area.  The
Federal Communications Commission has recognized this, and has already
pre-empted zoning regulations that would seek to hamper this capability in
many residential areas.

Amateur Radio should not be seen as a competitor to these technologies, or
the technologies being developed by emergency management agencies, but
rather should be seen as a service to augment these technologies.  Amateur
Radio often does not receive the credit that it is due, largely because
when it is not being used in a relief situation, it is largely used as a
leisure past time for those who like to chat amongst themselves, or
experiment with various communications techniques.  However, one should
keep in mind that the emergency capabilities of amateur radio should be
viewed like the smoke alarm in one's house--most of the time it is not
really needed, until you have an emergency, and then it is really really
needed.

Amateur radio serves the public under less dire circumstances, as well.  It
is used in many situations where short term point to point communications
are needed, such as at parades, bike-a-thons, sporting events, etc., where
it does not make sense to install a communications system for an event that
will only happen once or twice a year.  In my own community, amateur radio
operators provided communications this last year for a parade, replacing
rented commercial radios that parade officials had trouble operating, and
which did not hold up well

Even casual communications are of value in as much as they foster an
exchange of ideas and cultures between peoples of different countries.  In
recent times, Amateur Radio has been used as an educational tool in
schools, and has had a long history of promoting the development of skills
in our youth through organizations like the Boy Scouts.

Imagine if antenna restrictions were allowed to flourish to the extent that
most of these efforts came to an end or were at least greatly hampered.  I
think that most people who look at the merits of the amateur radio service
would agree that it would be a loss.

Louis K. Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]