From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:07:21 -0400
Hi Bob.

As a matter of fact, if you have a substantial amount of copper, it might
work.  I have heard of people using the chain link fences around their
yards as a ground plane for a vertical, and very successfully.  And, if you
are lucky enough enough to have a steel building on your property such as a
garage or barn, you've just hit the jackpot!  As a minimum, you need
radials of at least 1/4 wave in length for the lowest frequency you will
operate on, but if you want to look at it another way, that is a
minimum.  In actual practice, the more metal the better.  That is the
principle behind a mobile antenna installation on a car.

So, let your imagination go to work and see what you can dream up.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:10 AM 8/6/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_00A8_01C59A55.E1D382C0
>
>I don't understand antenna theory as much as I need to.  I  don't have =
>the room for a yoggi , the support for a dipole etc but I can go up as =
>high as I wish.  Now, why can't I use a vertical antenna and the copper =
>water pipes under my house as the ground plane?  Running radials would =
>really be difficult but I keep hearing here and in other places that a =
>vertical antenna won't work without ground radials or what ever they are =
>called.  Any ideas?
>------=_NextPart_000_00A8_01C59A55.E1D382C0

>I don't understand antenna theory as much as I need = to. =20 I  don't
>have the room for a yoggi , the support for a dipole etc = but I can=20 go
>up as high as I wish.  Now, why can't I use a vertical antenna = and
>the=20 copper water pipes under my house as the ground plane?  Running =
>radials=20 would really be difficult but I keep hearing here and in other
>places = that a=20 vertical antenna won't work without ground radials or
>what ever they are = called.  Any ideas?
>
>------=_NextPart_000_00A8_01C59A55.E1D382C0--

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]