Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:33:10 -0400
Hi.

My father was an electrician, and when I got into ham radio, the first
thing that he did was to modify the short wave receiver wiring so that all
of the cases were grounded to the third pin of a three prong plug.  Then he
replaced the circuit breaker for my bedroom with a ground fault
interrupter.  And he made me promise to never open the lid of the
Hallicrafters receiver when it was powered and to never touch any of the
capacitors without discharging them first.

So, I didn't get a real good jolt until I bought the Apache and
accidentally bridged the key.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 01:58 PM 4/25/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Phil,
>
>Another jolt that'll wake you up is the one you get when you touch
>one piece of equipment that's grounded and one that isn't.  I had
>that problem when I made my first novice contact.  Picture a grounded
>Heath DX40, an ungrounded Heath AR2 receiver, and a TR switch
>consisting of a knife switch precariously perched on the operating
>table, and a very nervous Novice trying desperately to pick out one
>weak signal from a mess of QRM on 40 meters.  I grabbed the knife
>switch to change from receive to transmit and ZAP! A nice little RF
>burn.  Needless to say, the next day I grounded everything in the shack.
>
>Steve
>
>On Tuesday 4/25/06 11:34 Phil Scovell wrote:
> >Steve,
> >
> >Those cathode little jolts were sure good about waking you up when you got
> >across those key contacts.  Felt good.
> >
> >Phil.
> >K0NX

Louis Kim Kline