From:
Pam Marbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Marbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:41:23 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my original question about the gluten free
status of milk. I really appreciate it! The following are the responses I
received:

I think you are being just a tad bit paranoid...What would be in
plain milk that would make it *not* GF? BTW, milk in the US has a
USDA "standard of identity" and if there is anything other than what
came from the cow and some vitamin D, it has to be declared on the
label (and the Vitamin D is usually declared, too).

FWIW, Starbucks is paranoid about outlet to outlet consistency, so
once you've confirmed the vanilla syrup is GF from headquarters,
enjoy to your heart's content.

I assume the milk is gluten free, but soy milk may not be.  Some soy milks
contain barley malt.

Milk is milk, and is gluten free unless someone improperly adulterates it.

You need to read the label on anything made with milk as many such
mixtures have gluten.  I have seen questionable grain products in some
chocolate milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, and whipped cream.  At least
they had good enough labels so that I could avoid the questionable
products.

Regular old milk is without exception GF. It's not something you ever need
call about. I also don't know of any whipped creams that aren't GF.

When I do have milk when I am out I just have plain milk.  When I have a
babanna split I ask them not to put on the whipped cream bacause I do not
think that it is really whipped cream.
And I do not use milk in my coffee so that is not a problem.
ran into trouble with Pamalatt...one of the preservatives was obviously
not gf.

You can do MUCH better than Starbuscks, tho.  I friend is a NYC
cofeetaster for one of the really presitigous coffee manufacuters.  I said
that I didn't like Starbucks because it tasted burnt to me.  HE agreed,
saying that Starbucks uses the cheapest coffee, over roasts it [maning
burns it] and charges very high prices.  See if you can find DALLIS coffee
in your neck of the woods....far superior.  In supermarkets, check out
MELITA which is THE coffee they drink in Brasil.

I have personally never seen anything but gluten-free milk. However, once
any flavoring is involved, you not only have to read the label, but (I
have found) need to call the manufacturer.  Even with the new labeling
laws in effect, as they do not cover all gluten -- only wheat.

Hi,
Last time I called Starbucks I was told all of their syrups are gluten
free and also their hot chocolate. The only thing you need to stay away
from in any that have malt in them. I believe they have a new drink made
with malt. Here is their number you can call them yourself. 1-800 235-2883
than you need to press 0. www.starbucks.com.

Yes milk is gf.

Milk by itself has no gluten. However many Celiac's, myself included, have
lactose intolerance which tends to go away once gluten is removed from the
diet. Have your doctor check you for lactose intolerance or go to your
local
CVS, Walgreens,ect and buy lactaid pills. I take them and they work for
me.

Lactose intolerance can produce symptoms associated with Celiac disease.
Celiac is a tuff disease to deal with because there are so many other
digestive abnormalities that have similar symptoms

all milks are GF