ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Gilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 17:55:26 -0400
Innies vs. Outies

Are you an Innie or an Outie? Don't worry, I'm not talking belly buttons
here. It's a towel question. Do you dry off inside the shower or do you
get out first and then dry off?

We have a mixture at my house. I'm a lifetime member of the Innie clan.
It's probably because I do a lot of the cleaning and I just hate it when
body drippings are slopped all around the bathroom, then left fermenting
on the floor. But after I carefully towel off inside the shower, I can't
tell you how many times I've come back after a couple of other people in
my family have showered to find that some rogue Outie has splattered a
trail from shower to sink and beyond. I could probably track down the
Outies through the slosh, but one slip on the Outie trail and I'm afraid
I could take a spill myself- one that would be anything but pleasant to
mop up.

There are times I'd totally dismiss the pursuit of determining the
Innies and Outies among my children- if only I could get them to hang up
their wet towels. We have Innies and Outies, yes. But we also have
Hangers and Molders. I think all children are born innate Molders.
Sadly, it takes years of nagging to overcome those Moldy tendencies,
especially in male children, who in turn often grow up to become adult
Molders. The Moldy/nagging cycle often continues for generations.

There are ins and outs in conversation too; things we'd much rather see
perpetuated for generations. There are words we're supposed to keep in-
Innies. Proverbs 17:27-28 says, "A man of knowledge uses words with
restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is
thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue."

On the other hand, there are matters of conversation we're not meant to
keep in. They're clearly meant to be conversation Outies. The Lord spoke
to Paul with Outie instructions in Acts 18:9 when he said, "Do not be
afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent." We're instructed to keep on
telling the Good News of Jesus.

Unfortunately, we tend to get the ins and outs of conversation all
turned around. We let foolish selfishness tumble right out of our heads
and through our mouths, hurting the people we're supposed to be building
up. Then we're deathly still and silent when doors of opportunity for
sharing Christ are thrown open right before us.

How we move in and out of conversation is a testimony. Colossians 4:5-6
doesn't tiptoe around conversation instruction when it says to "Be wise
in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt... "

Becoming the kind of conversationalist the Lord wants us to be means
trading that old foolish selfishness for grace. That's when our words
become salty, making those around us thirsty for Jesus. How fabulous to
find people hanging on every word you speak about Him; they're the most
glorious Hangers!