ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Gilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 17:48:46 -0400
May Flowers

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in
fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

During this spring season we've experienced the old saying "April
showers bring May flowers."

I see the same thing in people. When we shower people with our love,
attention and encouragement, they bloom to become the beautiful people
God intends them to be. I've seen this time and again as I've strived to
be a "life-enricher", someone who reaches out to enrich the lives of
others, to lift them up and inspire them.

An obvious way to be a life-enricher is with our children. Shower them
with love and they will grow strong in the knowledge that they matter.
Shower them with recognition for their achievements and they will grow
in confidence. Shower them with praise and they will feel ten feet tall.

My parents were life-enrichers. My father always told me, "Whatever you
choose to do in life you can do it!" And he turned out to be right. So
that's the message I preach wherever I go: "You can do it!"

I'm a cheerleader. From the time I started my own business more than 50
years ago and took on the role of leading people, I've been telling
them, "You can do it!" I've given hundreds of inspirational speeches,
and I'm still asked to make more because people tell me I'm a great
motivator.

Unfortunately, too many people never grow to their potential, because
they don't get enough encouragement and recognition. It takes little
effort to shower them with the words and works they need to flourish. A
few kind words take only a few seconds but can have an impact for a
lifetime. Being a life-enricher can be as simple as telling someone,
"Great job," "I appreciate you," or "Keep up the good work." And taking
a few minutes to write those sentiments in a card or note to someone
multiplies the effect.

Positive, encouraging, cheerleading people tend to gravitate toward
other positive people. If you go out of your way to encourage other
people, then they will seek you out and encourage you. No need for phony
praise. Look for the good and you will find it!

Encouragement should be a natural part of our Christian walk. Shower
people with encouragement and praise. And watch them grow.