From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:01:36 -0800
  Networking a group of PCs is a matter of some hardware connections and
several layers of software configuration.  Simply saying they are "connected
together" doesn't provide nearly enough information to troubleshoot the
problem.

  Let's work our way up from the bottom.  With current technology, the usual
way to connect four PCs physically is with a network switch, which *might*
be built into a router.  Next most common is a hub.  While hubs tend to be
dumb physical devices, switches and routers appear as a fifth device on the
network, whose configuration will dictate a lot of the behaviour seen by the
PCs.  So plaese tell us if there is such a device present, and what you can
about its make/model and configuration.

  Each PC will have one or more transport protocols enabled.  It will be
easiest to understand what's going on if each has only *one* transport
enabled, TCP/IP.  If any of the PCs have IPX or NetBEUI enabled, turn it
off.
  The TCP/IP Properties settings on each PC specify an IP address, subnet
mask, and default gateway for each machine.  Please specify what these
settings are.
  If these settings are correct, each PC ought to be able to "ping" the
other three by address.  Note that if the XP SP2 firewall is enabled, its
default configuration is to block the ICMP packets that ping uses -- you can
configure that as an exception, or temporarily disable the firewall.

  If that doesn't work, we need to figure out why and fix it.  Once that
does work, we can move on to some higher-level configurations needed for
browsing and sharing to work.

David Gillett

On 8 Dec 2006 at 7:38, Christopher Charles wrote:

> A networked computer (A) at the office is invisible to
> another PC [B]
> 4 PCs. Are connected together
> Another PC [B] is invisible to PC [A].
> PC [C] can see and browse all Pc’s, A, B, C and D
> PC [D] can see and browse?
>
> PC A = WinXP
> PC B = Win2000
> PC C = Win2000
> PC D = WinXP
>
> PC [A] can ping PC [B] successfully but cannot browse
> PC [B]
>
> PC [B] cannot ping PC [A] successfully and cannot
> browse PC [A]
>
> If I type the address of PC[2] from the browser of
> PC[A] will I be able to browse PC[B]?
>
> http://ipaddress of PC[B]
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> chris