BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts.
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:33:45 -0500
Fine Tuning

-----Original Message-----
From: The listserv that doubts.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Robinson
(eLearning)
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] yester- today

Ken,

Your story brought back memories of that sick in the pit of my stomach-cold
sweat feeling I used to get when something on one of my projects went
terribly wrong. Most of them happened when I was off the job and came back
to discover crap that made me put my head in my hands and walk rapidly
around in small circles. I particularly remember the guy who framed every
rough opening in a house too small for the windows I ordered. I had to come
back on a Saturday and tear them all out and build them to the correct
dimention. I also had some guys who allowed a very long first floor exterior
wall on a 2 storey house get 1 3/4" out of plumb in the middle. Looking down
on the house from the hill in the front yard it was obvious. I had to pull a
string from corner to corner and use a saws-all to cut all the joists to
proper length (taking progressively more off the end of the joists as the
bow got worse toward the middle of the wall span) and then use a come along
and a sledge hammer to pull the top of the wall back into the joists.

When I read your story the first thought I had was "wow, Ken needs to
install a really wide stone base moulding around that room", but it would
have looked like a curb and you would probably would have had looked really
stupid when you got to your first door opening! Just make all the casings 4"
thick. It will look fantastic. What a mess. Good luck with it...

Brian
--