BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:12:17 -0400
What I know off the top of my head:

The ceramic bead thing was originally marketed as providing "enhanced
insulation" in the paint film using space shuttle technology (or
something wild like that). After that was debunked, they had to take
that claim out of their marketing. I don't know what value they are now
claiming it adds. I think a google search will probably turn up the
original conflagration.

Google-moments later:

Here's a link for a competing product that provides some explanation.
Edison can surely tell us more....

http://www.hirshfields.com/ceramic/index.html

Here's the insulation shill:

http://ceramicadditive.com/work.html
http://alsnetbiz.com/insulate/testimonial.html
http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent2/groups/public/documents/pub/phtv_s
e_mo_000503.hcsp

Here's some debunking:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Pubs/energyqa/q2.htm

100% acrylic sounds to me like elastomeric, which of course would be a
Very Bad Thing in terms of vapor permeability for an exterior wood
clapboard wall system.

Yep, it's a no-breathe elastomeric:

http://www.rhinoshield.net/coatings.cfm

Tell Ellen to stick to her guns.

Of course, Edison will be able to give you the scientific reason not to
do it, and Ralph can give you the NFG testimonial.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.     "The workman ought often to
Raleigh Historic           be thinking, and the thinker
Districts Commission              often to be working."
[log in to unmask]                         -- John Ruskin
919/516-2632

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina  Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”