From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:20:53 -0500
There was a very famous d.j. in New York in the forties and fifties named Al
"Jazzbeaux" Collins. He played progressive jazz and was, in his day,
extremely influential in jazz music circles. Jazz became passé on the radio
and he drifted into pop music and wound up on a Pittsburgh AM station (WTAE)
when I lived there. He had a lot of goofy little shticks, but one of them
was what he always referred to as the world's biggest ball of string--he
took it to personal appearances and was always having people add to it. I
never actually saw it; nor do I know how long it may have become; but I do
know that it was hauled around in a trailer by one of the station's news
vans.