From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:28:27 -0700
happens to me all the time...we have 2 non-secure wireless networks with in
a block of my QTH, and my wireless card automatically connects to them
sometimes....its easy enough to tell what is within range of your card...go
into the settings menu under the start menu, arrow to network connections,
right arrow and then arrow up or down to wireless network connections, and
at that point clicck your left mouse button, or the applications key to get
into the context menu...arrow down to view wireless networks and hit
enter...this will bring up a listing of all networks that your card can
see...and as long as you know the name of your own wireless router, you can
select it from the list, enter the network key if your router is secured and
connect to it.
Another note on wireless routers, make sure you have it secured, or
incripted so that others cannot access your wireless service...you may have
been told that no one can connect unless they are in your house or yard, but
this simply is not true...i can connect to wireless networks 2 blocks away
with my built in wireless adapter in the laptop.  Also, cantennas are
becoming popular for net hunting and you don't really want anyone using your
wireless internet connection without your knoledge or OK...with all the
crazyness with MP3 and movy downloading going on, and the legislations
popping up all over the US regarding internet porn and such, you could be
held liable if someone uses your wireless link to download unauthorized or
illegal material.
73
Colin, V A6BKX