BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"B-P Golden Oldies: \\\"That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!\\\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:39:10 -0400

That Ralph guy said:

I'd be careful about letting Peanut use your (probably) LEAD crystal glasses for juice, or milk, or much of anything else. Or maybe the lead in lead crystal is somehow encapsulated, but I wouldn't count on it.

I found this on the subject of lead getting into your food from lead crystal:

Does glass or crystal ware contain lead?

Ordinary glassware does not contain lead, but lead is used to make the more expensive lead crystal. People who have lead crystal items should take the following precautions:
*	Do not store liquids in lead crystal glasses or bottles
*	Do not drink from lead crystal on a daily basis, especially if you are pregnant
*	Do not feed an infant or child from a lead crystal baby bottle or cup

So the upshot of it is people who drink out of nice lead crystal all the time get a little heavy metal to go with their wine or brandy.

I had to check it out because I think about these things, especially when someone buys a nice bowl with a label on it that says "don't use for serving food" and I'm thinking the first time the bowl gets washed the label will come off...

I got it from this web site: http://www.nsc.org/issues/lead/leadindishes.htm

Bruce "when in Roam...think like a Roeman" Milter