Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:42:42 -0400
Speaking of interesting history about things radio-related, I've often
wished that I'd have been older and thought to sit down with my dad's older
brother with a tape recorder before he died--I was only a kid at the time
and such things hadn't yet occurred to me. My dad's family lived in
Wilkensburg, Pennsylvania, and my grandfather was a fairly well-to-do
pharmacist who owned several drugstores around the suburbs east of
Pittsburgh. Dr. Frank Conrad lived a few houses away from their home and
somehow, my uncle got involved in a very low-level way in Conrad's radio
experiments that ultimately led to station KDKA and the birth of commercial
radio broadcasting. From what my dad told me, his brother wasn't much more
than a gopher, running errands, fetching coffee and sandwiches, etc., but it
sure would've been interesting to have heard my uncle reminisce about those
days. I wasn't even aware that he'd played this very minor role until
several years after his death, but he was, according to my dad, something of
a gadgeteer and electricity hobbyist--there's a great story that my dad used
to tell about how he and his brother rigged a model railroad transformer to
a copper drainpipe at one of their father's drugstores to persuade a
particularly difficult dog to stop relieving himself against the downspout.

 --
 Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL