ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:35:09 -0500
One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just
before services were to begin. Although the old man and his
clothes were spotlessly clean, he wore jeans, a denim shirt
and boots that were very worn and ragged. In his hand he
carried a worn out old hat and an equally worn out Bible.
The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part
of the city. It was the largest and most beautiful church the old
cowboy had ever seen. The people of the congregation were all
dressed with expensive clothes and accessories.  As the
cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No one
greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled at
his appearance and did not attempt to hide it.
The preacher gave a long sermon about Hellfire and brimstone
and a stern lecture on how much money the church needed to
do God's work.
As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher
approached! him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor.
"Before you come back in here again, have a talk with God
and ask Him! what He thinks would be appropriate attire for
worship."
The old cowboy assured the preacher he would.
The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services wearing
the same ragged jeans, shirt, boots, and hat.
Once again he was completely shunned and ignored.
The preacher approached the man and said, "I thought I asked
you to speak to God before you came back to our church
concerning the appropriate attire for worship."
"I did," replied the old cowboy.
"If you spoke to God, what did he tell you the proper attire should
be for worshiping in here?" asked the preacher.
"Well sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue what I should
wear.  He said that he has never been in this church."