From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:39:29 EDT

Here are the responses I've received to date about Sudafed and other
decongestants:

Alavert D 12 hour is gf

My pharmacist said that I could have brand name sudafed tabs only since
generic brands change their suppliers depending on who is cheapest. I take the 120
mg tabs.

My understanding is that Maltodextrin does not contain Gluten.  I have been
taking the Costco brand without problems.

Maltodextrin is safe, if it is manufactured in the US, it is made from corn.

I use the brand-name Sudafed, and the PE version is also gluten-free.

I take regular Sudafed and it is GF.  Maltdextrin is not 'malt'.

Eckerds did call me back later that day and told me their maldodextrin was
from corn.

Maltodextin has nothing to do with "malt" from barley.  In the US, it's most
often from corn and g.f.

Check out the bottom of the page at
http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=185&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H1VK7cF7pW
-31106206800.f7

You can also look at the generics for Phenylephrine HCL which is sold as
"decongestant fomula." (In most states, these are now behind the counter because
its used by illegally manufacture crystal meth).  Generics often carry more
specific labeling than the name brands.

Sudafed 24 hour no drowsy in yellow box.

Deb, Newark, DE