ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:47:23 -0400
Julie,
         Thank you for your understanding and kind words.  I appreciate them.

         I just have one more point to make on this subject that kind
of connects with what you said, and then I'll go away and leave it to
rest.  My thoughts are these:  in 1933, when Hitler came to power, he
went to the churches and capitolized on their sense of national pride
to accomplish so much so quickly.  Of course, we can argue that they
weren't the true church, but they were the main church and those who
were outspoken against the anti-semetic position that the main church
and Hitler were taking, such as Bonhoeffer, were expelled from the
church altogether.  Bonhoeffer eventually wrote the book, "The Cost
of Discipleship" in response to what he was
experiencing.  Interesting, the church remembers Bonhoeffer today as
a marter for his faith, but we don't remember the German pastors with
their national pride.  At least I don't.
         I love my country, but if I am to die for something, let it
be for Christ.
Kathy