ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:31:04 -0600
In the state of Colorado, a similar issue recently caused a great deal of
debate because, since in some school districts, the predominate student body
population is Hispanic and the Hispanic flag was being displayed in great
number and more predominately in physical standing than the American.  The
attorney general finally notified the state school commissioner and informed
him that public institutions were in violation of state law and to make
changes immediately or risk appearing in court.  Now we know, based upon
this law, the such would be the case with a Christian flag as well.
Churches may not, in our state, fall into a public institution category.  I
know this will get me into trouble but the Christian flag only has a minimal
amount of meaning to me personally.  I don't know why.  Of course, without
the reality of the things represented by the America flag, there would be no
Christian flag in this country.  Which came first?  The chicken or the egg?
Regardless, we know the answer but I wonder if God cares.  Again, the Bible
is silent on such an issue.  Displaying the Christian flag at a lower level
than the American flag on the other side of the platform means we are
symbolically putting God lower in rank?  I don't think so.  Besides, God
knows who He is in the first place.  Are we talking about a man made flag
representing something Christian or the Bible?  The Bible isn't symbolic, it
is God Breathed.  such isn't the case with the symbolic representation and
meaning of the Christian flag.  It isn't holy, sinless, inspired, inerrant,
perfect, blood washed, or God ordained.  What's next?  fighting over the
church bathroom and, whether or not the toilet paper should roll over the
top or down from behind?  A friend of mine was in a state mental hospital
once for 90 days because they didn't like his Christian attitude an anti
psychology beliefs over at the state prison where he was for 2.5 years.  So
they shipped him over to the mental hospital to learn him some prison
manners.  During his 90 days stay in the nut house, he called me frequently.
One day, he called me all excited.  He had led a man to the Lord.  Once
explaining baptism by emersion to the new convert, the man said he wanted to
get baptized.  My friend called and said, "So what do I do now because we
only have showers in this place."  I himmed and hawed for awhile and then
Bob said, "Do you suppose if I got him in a shower, turned it on full, and
just soaked him down until he was good an wet all over, that God would think
that was ok?"  I laughed, and said, "I think God would be right pleased with
such an adventure."  He called back the next day and said, "Well, we done
it, praise God.  He's been baptized."  You know what I think?  God thought
what Bob did was funny but pleasing in His sight.  So what do we do about
the flags?  I don't know.  I know what I would do but that doesn't make it
right.

Phil.

Has He Ever Crossed Your Mind?
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com