ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:52:14 -0400
Brad,
         I don't think that it is a question of leadership as much as
it is a form of checks and balances, as in our government.  Let's
face it, the sheep shepherd analogy can only go so farr in describing
the relationship  of
  the pastor to the church.  Yes, there is one pastor, or perhaps two
or three depending on the size of the church, but in a real flock of
sheep, there is only one being, that being the shepherd, who is even
capable of decision making.  Sheep are pretty stupid and there is no
hope of them changing.  However, in a healthy church, growth and
evolution is exactly what you want.  You don't want the people to
remain dumb sheep.  You hope for them to grow up and become
shepherds, of sorts, of ministries of their own.  They are capable of
making decisions also and, if they can support there decision
biblically, it is only right to dialogue with them.
         Paul himself longed for the people of his congregations to
grow up and take on responsibility and not remain as infants.  I have
an idea that, especially for Paul's day we would be talking about a
Roman flag, he'd throw the things out, but, then again, maybe
not.  He himself, in Romans 13, cautions us to respect the governing
authorities, so I can't even say that with 100%  certainty.
         Paul planted many churches, but they did not become cookie
cutter replicas of one another, as you might expect if Paul was that
emphatic that his way was the only way.  Paul allowed for
individuality.  It was when they sinned that he corrected.  He
himself, granted a great deal of freedom in Christ.  He had too if he
was going to move on.  He trusted the holy spirit to be in the
church, not just in one person in the church, as in the old
testament, but the body should work together as a whole to discern
the will of God.Different gifts were given for different purposes,
but they weren't exclusive to one person or another and they were all
intended to help the body.  I see this as becoming something far
different than the shepherd sheep analogy.
Kathy