Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:55:46 EST

This is one of the replies that   I have received.    Any one want to
respond.   This has a lot of information other than Gluten free.   Please let me know
so I can decide if i want to take metamucil.    Thanks to all.

Metamucil is psyllium seed husk powder and some other unnecessary additions;
it is gluten free, but is notorious for causing tremendous gas in new users
(and that can be very painful as well as unsightly, not to mention odorific!).
For this reason, gastroenterologists tend to recommend Citrucel, which does not
ferment and cause gas. Alas, it, too, has unnecessary additives (though it is
also gf). If you plan to use this daily long term, you might want to seek out
a natural psyllium product, such as from Frontier
(available throughOzark Cooperative Warehouse

- it is just the powdered seed husk, nothing added. My husband has used this
for perhaps five years now - before that he had used Metamucil for a few
decades. As he ages, however, he does have more gas, and I'm planning to seek a nat
ural version of Citrucel for him in the future.
 Good luck!

 (who is all for fiber supplementation if it is really necessary - e.g.
husband has Crohn's and the fiber prevents diarrhea, but suspects that fiber from
foods should be all you really need - eat more whole grains (e.g. brown rice)
and legumes (beans, lentils), and, of course, fruits and veggies; popcorn is
great, if the carbs are not an issue.