ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David & Rachel. <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:15:32 +0100
Around ten years ago I recall hearing an account of a woman who had just left her work place late one evening. She worked in the local Church in the north of England and was just on her way home. Her walk took her down a dark alley way before she reached her home.

As she ventured down this alley way, she could all of a sudden hear a cry coming from the darkness. 'Mrs, Mrs, Mrs.' was the repeated cry.

The woman in astonishment was then only half way down the alley way*, where she could see something, someone crouching in the dark.

To her amazement, there in the corner was a small boy, his feet bare, his nose running and he wore no coat.

It was a cold winter evening.

The woman asked the child, 'What are you doing here?.' His muffled response was that he was off sick from school and his mother would not let him home until it was five o'clock.

By this time, five o'clock had gone ages ago.

The woman alarmed, yet concerned as to what to do, then turned to find help from other colleagues at her work place. As she did so, the child cried out yet again, 'Mrs, Mrs, Mrs!' As the woman turned once again to face the small boy, she asked ,'What do you want?'

As the boy shivered in the cold, he exclaimed, 'Will you give me a kiss?'

The woman stooped forward to touch the child and as she did so, she became aware of the prompting of the voice of God as He reminded her,' I've been kissing you now for so long with My love, it's now time for you to kiss the world with My love.'

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.    -- Leo Buscaglia

This is part of an article written by David Prince for www.newday-prince.me.uk January 2006.

*Alley way - A narrow street with walls on both sides.