C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 06:41:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Chabad.org [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 04:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: VOICES: Why Does G-d Create Severely Handicapped Babies?

B"H

Adar 7, 5766 * March 7, 2006

===========
V O I C E S
===========

Why Does G-d Create Severely Handicapped Babies?
By: Aron Moss

Question:

A friend gave birth to a baby with a rare condition that has rendered her
severely handicapped. She is not expected to live much past her tenth birthday.
I just can't understand why G-d does that. If life has a purpose, what is the
purpose of such a short and sad life?

Answer:

Every birth is a gamble. A soul enters the world innocent and pure. But it may
not stay that way. This world is a maze of diverging pathways, both good and
evil, and the choice is ours which way we go. Once a soul enters a body, it is
free and therefore vulnerable to corruption. While acts of good elevate the
soul, every act of evil makes a blemish on the soul.

Some souls are so lofty, it simply isn't worth the gamble. These souls are too
precious to risk being compromised by life in a body. They are too high to come
down to this world. But the other option, not to be sent down at all, to never
reach this world, would mean that we would miss out on meeting these holy and
lofty souls and hearing their message.

So these souls do come down. But in order to be protected from the potential
evils of an earthly existence, they are sent down into a body that will not
compromise their holiness. They enter this world in a form that is above sin,
above evil. From a purely physical perspective we call them "disabled" or
"handicapped"; from the perspective of the soul they are protected. They will
never sin. Their sojourn in this world is often brief, and in terms of this
world may seem sad. But they have retained their purity. And they have fulfilled
their mission.

These special souls remind us that true love doesn't need a reason. We often
love others for what they give us -- we love our children because they are cute,
smart, and high achievers; we love our spouse for the pleasure and contentment
they give us; we love our parents because they care for us. This is love, but it
is not pure.

When a child is born that will never achieve worldly success, cannot provide the
usual source of pride for her parents, all extraneous reasons to love her fall
away and what's left is the purest love that there can be. These children are
lovable not because of what they do for you, and not because of what they will
one day become, but simply because they are.

These pure souls remind us what love should be. Only such a pure and holy soul
can elicit such a pure and holy emotion. We can only stand in awe of them, and
the parents and friends who care for them. And we can only thank them all, for
giving us a glimpse of what true love really means.

- Rabbi Aron Moss teaches Kabbalah, Talmud and practical Judaism in Sydney,
Australia.

(To view this article on the Web, or to post a comment, please click here:
http://www.chabad.org/363833)

New! Experience MyChabad.org (beta); Register Today (it's free!)

http://www.chabad.org/363921

Members get access to:

* Personal Jewish Calendar
  Add your own personal events and Jewish dates to the most powerful
  Jewish calendar on the Web

* My Alerts
  Schedule reminders for upcoming birthdays, yahrtzeits, anniversaries
  and more

* Local Shabbat and Halachic Times
  Automatically remembers your location for displaying times for your
  local city

* MP3 Audio Class Downloads
  Enables to you to download MP3 files of our growing collection of
  audio classes

* Subscription Management
  Manage your subscriptions in one convenient location

Click here to set up your free account:
http://www.chabad.org/363921

Copyright C Chabad.org, 2005

For more Torah study and inspiring articles, please visit:
http://www.chabad.org/magazine

** Enjoyed this email? Please help us continue sharing the
   study of Torah and Jewish traditions:

   Dedicate or sponsor an email to mark your special occasion!
   Please click here:  http://www.chabad.org/dedications

   Please click here to make a donation to Chabad.org:
   http://www.chabad.org/donate

** NEW! Manage your complete subscription profile online: Subscribes,
   unsubscribes, address changes, vacation holds, and more. Register here:
   http://www.chabad.org/363921

** To subscribe to more Chabad.org email lists please click here:
   http://www.chabad.org/subscribe

** To be removed from this email list please click here:
   http://www.chabad.org/unsub.asp?UserID=66497,23,11499,0,140
   If you would just like your email suspended and resumed at a later
   date, please let us know here:
   [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://www.chabad.org/go.asp?p=vacation_request&[log in to unmask]

** You are subscribed as: [log in to unmask] If your e-mail address is
changing
   please send us your new email address here:
   [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://www.chabad.org/go.asp?p=address_change&[log in to unmask]

Chabad.org
Part of the Chabad Online Network

A division of Chabad Lubavitch Media Center 770 Eastern Parkway * Brooklyn, NY *
11213
Web: http://www.chabad.org
Feedback: http://www.chabad.org/tools/feedback.asp