From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:12:45 -0400
I would take a look in the BIOS and see if the optical drives are being
correctly identified within it.  While I was there, I would change the boot
order to make one of those CD-ROMS the primary boot drive, and then, I would
see if I could boot from a bootable CD (you can use your WinXP CD for this,
for instance).  These steps are aimed at trying to eliminate the issue being
a hardware problem.

I believe that some forms of malware disable the functioning of optical
drives.  Update your virus scanner and spyware scanner and run a thorough
scan of your system.  As an alternative, see if you can download and run an
online scanner, such as Kaspersky's.  (Kaspersky's online scan will not
offer to fix any problems, but it will identify an malware that it locates.)

Of course, it is not unusual for malware to also try to disable virus
scanners; so, if you find that yours doesn't seem to be working and you
can't install Kaspersky's, this in itself might be a sign of what is going
on.

Hope this helps,

John Sproule