From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:42:43 -0500
original post:--

<<<< Dear Listers,

I'm trying to install a new disk of XP Pro on a blank 80 GB drive.  It's
not working.  It formatted the drive, then said the format didn't work.
Got all the way up to 100%, and took some time doing that.  Then said it
didn't work.

I don't want to install it over my XP Home edition (don't have those
disks).  Want a clean install on a blank drive.

What do I need to do to get this done.  I put the disk in then I boot up.

When I put the disk in once I'm in my current HD running XP Home, I
believe it doesn't give me the choice to install it on my 2nd HD.

Thanks.

Diane Kroeckel>>>>

Hi,

from your post it APPEARS AT LEAST TO ME that you are attempting a "dual boot system"

it would have helped if you had given details of how you have configured your "blank 80 gb drive". in primary IDE as master(containing win xp home)/slave(blank 80 gb drive) or on secondary IDE?

NOTE:- if you are comfortable working inside the case and then ONLY THEN try the following

(1) open up the case and remove the drive containing win xp home.

(2) set the jumper to master (by default it should have been set so) in your "blank 80 gb drive"

(3) attach the drive to the same cable end from which you removed drive with win xp home.

(4) close the case and boot up.

(5)insert the win xp pro disk in the cdrom drive and follow instructions.

(6)if successful post back for configuring dual boot.

NOTE 2: PL ENSURE YOU DISCONNECT ALL POWER SUPPLY TO THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU OPEN UP THE CASE

good luck---Venkat

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com