From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:49:05 -0800
Diane wrote:
> I recently downloaded boot esentials for xp install. I would like to know
>  exactly what to do where it says change to cd rom drive after boot. Do I
>  place the xp cd in or do I go into bios to change preferences?  I am a b
> eginner.
>  Thanks,  Diane

  When the floppy boot completes, you'll be left at a command prompt that
will say something like "A:\ >".  The prompt is telling you that the current
drive, where it will look for any programs whose names you type as commands.
  You can "change to" a different drive by entering the drive letter and a
colon and pressing return; for instance, "C:" would normally switch you to
the first partition of the first hard drive.

  Since the program you need to run is on the CD, you need to enter the
drive letter of your CD-ROM drive to "change to" that drive.  Then when you
type "setup", the machine will find setup.exe on the CD and run that
program.

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com