Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 15:58:48 -0800
Hi Daniel,

I went through a similar decision process recently myself. DDR2 is the new
fast RAM, but from benchmarks I have seen, you will not likely see any
improvement in performance. For my own computer, I did end up getting one
that uses DDR2, but that was not my deciding factor.

As I understand it, SLI is needed only if you are doing gaming or other
video intensive processing. Your wanting to do digital camera video editing
is not in that category, neither is scanning or mp3.

This does not narrow down your choices by much, but it may at least tell you
what you do not need to require. Look at reviews on www.motherboards.org,
www.tomshardware.com, or www.anandtech.com - other sites also do reviews.
Primarily, I would look for STABILITY as opposed to performance. You might
consider a dual core processor and use a pair of memory sticks (instead of
one) to improve RAM performance.

For a good, crisp video display, get a monitor and video card that uses DVI
interface. My video card just went out and I had to go back to an analog
interface. Boy, do I now miss the DVI interface - things look so blurry in
analog by comparison!

Good luck. You will likely get more feedback on this from others.

Peter