From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 04:26:01 -0500
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:40, William wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:43, Keith Thomas wrote:
>
>> My point is not that pre-agricultural Homo sapiens did not
>> eat cattle (they certainly did), but that it was relatively rare.
>> Paleo eating would ideally include meat from a
>> number of species, most of them small, with no single meat
>> predominating.
>
>I'm guessing that you refer to a comparison of small bones/large bones at
>paleo campsites. I've never seen such, would appreciate a link if you have
>one.
No link. The view I expressed above was based on ethnographies
I have read over the years, paleontological reports and informed speculation.
It is impossible to generalize.

Binford's examination of 390 hunter-gatherer ethnographies
found only five tribe getting only 10% of their food as meat (none got less
than 10%) and about the same number of outliers at the other end of the
scale. So there is immense variety.

Historical and recent hunter-gatherers on the coast left huge middens
of shells showing that they ate small and easily captured prey. The sort of
bone inventory you suggest is difficult as most cave sites, for example, have
been contaminated with bones left over from carnivores who used the caves
for their meals after the humans had departed. In some cases it is possible
to say whether the bones were butchered by humans or gnawed by animals,
but this is rarely the case. Paleontology doesnt work like a CSI movie. As well
as meat from birds, fish, reptiles and mammals, our ancestors ate invertebrates.
(I found some ants on a recent trip to the UK and tried them, but they were
salted to the extent that the salt dominated their flavour - there was no hint
of formic acid).

Keith