From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:45:35 -0500
Hi.

Personally, my opinion is that if you don't mind saving your money a little
while longer, the TS2000S is three times the radio that the '706 is.  There
are things like setting up PL tones that are just miserable on the '706 and
a piece of cake on the TS2000S.  Oh, yes, you also don't have to buy a
QSYer for the TS2000S to do keypad entry like you do on the '706.  The only
negative is that it doesn't cover the FM broadcast band, but then you do
get a much better VHF receive section by leaving the FM broadcast band out,
and most of us have lots of FM receivers around anyway.

73, de Lou K2LKK

P.S.  The only real advantage that I see to the '706 is portability.

At 03:19 PM 12/24/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi 706 users
>I have always been a bit curious about how user friendly the 706 is.  The
>menu beep might be a help but I got the idea that it is a very menu driven
>radio.  Does a simple cheat sheet or two really solve the problem?  Also, is
>there a built in key pad with the latest version or do you have to invest in
>the qsyer?  Finally, what is the story with filter options and dsp?  For the
>money it has always seemed like a lot of radio but the fact that there are
>more than the usual number of menus has always made me a bit cautious.
>There certainly seem to be lots of used ones available.
>Merry Christmas to all
>Rich

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK