From:
"S.McLeod" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S.McLeod
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:23:04 +1300

My 18 month old niece hasn't gained weight since she was 9 months old, has
low muscle tone and developmental delay (unable to stand yet) with autistic
like behaviours that have showed some improvement on a gf diet.
Unfortunately she wasn't tested for celiac before starting the diet. Now her
pediatrician is concerned about the lack of weight gain and wants her put
back on gluten for three weeks in order to do the blood tests.
I'm not sure what other physical symptoms the baby has apart
from only sleeping about 5 hours at night. I've done a bit of research on
the Internet and see that celiac blood tests  are not reliable in infants.

I'm just seeking input from others who may have been in this situation, as
it
concerns me that the baby's health could be put in further jeopardy for an
inconclusive diagnosis. She is going to have other tests as well in case
there's some other cause for the lack of weight gain, which at this stage is
the pediatrician's priority.

Stella
New Zealand