From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:32:36 -0500
Alyne wrote:

>Todd:
>
>  I beleive you stated that a low carb diet that doesn't avoid saturated  fat is the best way to raise HDL.  Do you have a reference for  that?  My husband is trying to increase his HDL.
>
>  Thanks.
>  Alyne

This article,
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=1368980,
which we were recently discussing, might interest him.

For the record, when I started paleo my HDL was at the lower limit of
acceptable for me: 32 mg/dl.  Last time I had it checked it was 50
mg/dl.  That's not stellar, but it's an improvement at least.
Personally, I think there is now sufficient evidence that HDL is not
irrelevant to health but is, indeed, "good" cholesterol. A year or so
ago, experimental intervention studies of "HDL therapy" showed reveral
of atherosclerosis.  Gaziano's 1997 study showed that the strongest
predictor of heart attack was the HDL:triglyeride ratio.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/96/8/2520

Todd Moody