From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:45:34 -0600
Hey Phil:
well, as was, or maybe not, mentioned, it sort of depends on the provider
and where you are located.
Sometimes, DSL is much more stable then cable simply because if a cable
provider allows too many connections on one hub, then the speed can slow
down dramatically...where as DSl the speed will always stay stable, and
slow.
My experience, as i have noticed many many other peoples as well, is that
DSL is noticeably slower when downloading files from the internet, but not
so much so when just browsing or uploading/downloading mail.
However, if you get a few hundred messages a day, and tend to download them
all at once, cable is definitely faster.

For instance, when i was using DSL, my typical download speed from the
internet, from any decent site, was around 50 to 75KBPS.
When i switched to cable at the first house, it jumped up to between 120 and
450KBPS.
At the second and third locations where i have had cable, it never goes
below 200 when downloading from a good site...how ever download speed really
is relevant to the source or place you are downloading from and their
connection.

Our local cable provider offer internet, digital tv and digital phone
service....for all 3, we pay around 60 dollars less per month then with the
tradditional phone company....even more because we are on cable and not
dsl...about a 5 to ten dollar difference in this area.

So, my dimes worth is that, if you aren't picky about really high speed, or
at least, speed that comes close to the stated download speed, and you want
to save a whole big bunch of money, which you will, then go with DSL.
However, if you want to keep your high speed, and come as close as you can
to the 1.5MB download speed, haha, yeh right, then stay with cable.
Its more of a personal decision then anything that can be quantified.
73
Colin, V A6BKX