From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:30:03 -0600
having a knoledge of the code makes that step from not knowing the actual
code to learning the dits and dahs, a whole lot easier.
It also gives an insentive because you get to learn about the value and
marrits of CW with out having it as a road block to getting on HF.
For instance, when i started to learn CW, about 6 months after i wrote my
exam, i already new most of the operating procedures such as starting your
qso with VVV, and ending with K or using DE in front of your call sign and
so on.
So, when i started learning the actual code, i could focus all my effort on
the letters and numbers and punctuations instead of what 3 letter codes to
use where, or what they meant or what ever.
Unfortunately, i only spent about 2 weeks on learning, and i was up to 5
words a minute, but then things got in the way of my sunday schedule on 80M
with a local ham who was also learning the code.
I also think that learning the code by using it with other folks just
learning it on the air, is a really great way of learning it.
As opposed to sitting in your shack listening to code tapes and practicing
with a code oscelator.
Nothing beats having a qso at 3 words a min or less, and progressing faster
and faster, from a pre reherssed script to improvisations of sentances...and
then, having another local ham jump in and start sending at a full 5 words a
minute, and the challenge of figuring out what he's saying, and then having
to respond coherently.
This would never be possible in the US system where you have to have the
code before getting on the air.
73
Colin, V A6BKX