From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:07:02 -0500
Hi,
FYI
73
Bob, [log in to unmask], K8LR
Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

----- Original Message -----
From: Art Snapper
To: ham radio
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:15 PM
Subject: [kalamazoohamradio] Races info

We will be discussing this at tonights meeting...Art Snapper NK8X

"Break Tags" for emergency communications

    Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004

    Hello Everyone,

    On June 28th after one of our events, the Seaway Run, we (The Muskegon
County Amateur Radio Emergency Service) came up with a solution for a
problem that has plagued us for years. When communications get heavy,
someone on the air may have a short solution to a problem that is taking up
too much valuable air time and can't get into the net to share their
solution. We came up with some neat little tools to address that issue. They
are called Break Tags. When we are operating under a controlled net, we are
trained not to break in unless there is an emergency. The only exception to
that rule is to just throw out our call sign which usually gets us put on
hold, sitting there in frustration with the answer to a question that is
resulting in unnecessary chatter.

    There are currently seven one word Break Tags. They are: answer,
question, info, priority, medical, emergency and your call sign. Most of
these tags were used with great success for the first time at the 2004
Muskegon Air Fair.

    Here is how they are used. Instead of saying 'break' in between
transmissions during a directed net you use the a word Break Tag without
your call sign. They are to be used only when your traffic will be
appreciated by net control and results in more efficient communications.
They are to be used wisely, as net control is directed to stop and turn over
the net to the breaker. The message that follows a break should be as short
as possible. Here are their intended uses:

    Answer: To be used when you have the answer to a question currently
being discussed on the air.

    Question: To be used when the answer of a question can't wait, for
instance when the Mayor is standing next to you and requested you to get
some info using your radio.

    Info: To be used when information needs to be transmitted rapidly but is
not related to what is being said on the air. For instance if something that
net control needs to know about is going to happen in the next few seconds
or if waiting for the end of an exchange will negate the value of the
information.

situation such as a fender-bender that just happened.

    Medical: To be used to report a minor medical incident that affects the
operator in some way, like having to leave their post for a few minutes to
walk someone with a minor cut over to a med tent.

    Emergency: Only to be used to report an ongoing life or property
threatening or damaging incident.

    Your Call Sign: An indication that you have traffic that can wait and
does not require the stoppage of the ongoing exchange. This tag is an
expectation to be put on hold and in queue for your transmission.

    This method takes very little training. It's use is contagious and comes
very naturally. I hope that everyone adopts it. I would like to hear if
    other groups try it and how it works. It will be a part of our
communications from here on in.

    73,

    Mark Derby, KB8UFF

    Mark A. Derby, Amateur Radio Call Sign KB8UFF
    Event Coordinator, MCARES
    Electrician, CCST, G3 Electric
    E-mail [log in to unmask]

www.kalamazoohamradio.com

      Ham radio  Ham radio sales  Ham radio outlet