Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 03:15:35 -0500
Yesterday I received a truly unexpected letter from Omega Engineering.  You  may
recall that I wrote recently about having problems with them refusing to repair
a talking multimeter I received from them in defective condition.  The letter
which I received contained a check for my full purchase amount (including
shipping) and was contained within a box to use to ship back the meter.  It
explained that Omega was careful about what customers they permitted to use
their equipment and that a blind person using their multimeter was dangerous due
to potential high voltage.  They said that for that reason they would not repair
the meter but were sending me a check for my money and for me to please send
them back their meter.  They refer to the sticker in the manual which points out
that use by the "visually impaired" is not recommend and closed by telling me
they're only "trying to do the right thinng".

Since several wrote to me concerning this I am simply writine to the entire
list.  What I am looking for at this point is signed statements from any blind
or visually impaired person who has purchased this meter or by any person who
has purchased the meter for use by blind people.  I did contact the NFB about
this with no result as yet.  Anyway, if you would be willing to write me such a
letter please contact me at

and I will give you further information.

At present, I am not publically sharing this letter but will share it with
anyone writing me a letter and it will very definitely eventually be on my web
site.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html