From:
Pamela Onges <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Onges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:41:28 -0500

Thank you for all your responses.
Of all the responses most said that they HAVE ALSO had problems with PF
Changs.
One person chastized me for not using veratrum alb 30c to elimate the
symptoms of a Gluten reaction. To her I say - Been there done that and it
doesn't work for me and my reactions. Also, perhaps in the future, you may
take into consideration that someone may be new to the post and unaware of
veratrum as a possible solution and be a little bit less abrupt with your
response.

General list of responses:

I have eaten there 3x. The first time I was ok. 2nd and 3rd time I was
sick afterwards. 2nd time, I had a gluten reaction 48 hours later, usual
for me. I think they used the wrong soy sauce. 3rd time, my throat closed
up from the spices they used and the order was for chicken chow fun with
white sauce instead of brown sauce. I will never eat there again.

YES I have had similar experiences =/
I box my own to-go food. PFC's is very uncontentious about cross-
contamination ... they stuck their nose up at me when I asked that my
order be placed through the kitchen manager not the waitress (the standard
for non-gf menu places anyway) to avoid another set of hands, and I asked
the kitchen manager to bring it out instead of a runner who might have
just stuck his thumb in some gluten-laden dish. I've given up on them. I
haven't eaten there in months because they just don't seem to care and I
want to stay well, so for now that means homemade Chinese =/

Best of luck getting the company to budge

Eleanor in Boston
PS When I voiced my concerns politely (of course) they said "oh, no one
has ever gotten sick here" and my waitress said that "none ofher customers
has ever been sick" the kicker .... she served me another time I was there
and got sick ...

That's curious.  I, too, got sick from eating the GF Lettuce Wraps at PF
Changs!  They were delicious, though.  I thought the cause may have been
extra oil in the product, which I am not accustomed to using.  Would you
post the replies, please?  Thanks.

I have stopped eating at PF Changs in VA Beach as I get sick every
time I eat there.  ditto with Outback in Norfolk.

Yes, I've gotten sick from PF Chang's Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps more than
once from the Sunnyvale California location. It seems to me we get
reactions more commonly from their take-out than from eating in the
restaurant.

We get sick everytime we have gone to PF Changs and have given up on the
place.

sorry to have to tell you that.  We used to love it, but realize they
don't take this seriously.

I have had the same exact thing happen the 3 times I went in NY (same
dish).

I have mixed experiences with PF Chang's.  The last time I was there,
I asked the server for the special soy sauce noted on the GF menu.
She said she would make sure I got it.  Being the irritating diner
that I am, I said, "So, I just want to make double sure that you know
what I'm asking for."  She, the server: "The light soy sauce, right?"
Arrrgh.  I then pointed to it on the GF menu with my finger and got
her to read it.  Of course, this was the same server who, when
packing up my husband's Hot and Sour Soup, spilled it all over her
fingers, and shook them off into the container!  We were horrified,
but felt we were already quite high on the PIA (pain-in-the-a**)
customer scale, just in getting my food ordered ... so we just kept
quiet and threw it out when we got home.

Anyway, I'd say about 70% of the time I feel OK about PF Chang's, but
then things just don't go well.  I have, in fact, considered asking
to have my food cooked entirely without soy sauce, because that is my
suspicion as to where they go wrong.

Yes, I've had problems with the lettuce wraps, and don't order them
anymore!  good luck to you, therese

I have ordered GF chicken lettuce wraps numerous times in three different
cities with no problem.  However, last summer, at a PF Changs in Kansas
City, Mo., we had a server who really did seem incapable of doing things
correctly - really unusual for a PF Changs.  When the wraps came, I felt
suspicious about them, and asked him to make certain they were GF with the
chef.  It took forever for him to return to the table, and when he did so,
the manager rushed over with him and said that if I wanted the wraps GF,
they were able to do that for me.  I have never caused a scene in a
restaurant before, however, I did raise a small ruckus since I had been
extremely clear that the wraps and my order of lemon chicken were to be GF!
Fortunately, I had not taken a single bite, and they were eaten up by all
the non-celiacs in our group.  Anyway, I do love the food at PF Changs, and
have never had a problem otherwise.

Well, it's funny that you would bring that up.  I wanted to go eat there
over the holidays because I SO badly wanted their lettuce wraps, and when I
ordered them, the waitress told me that I couldn't have them because of the
possibility of cross-contamination!  She made it sound like it it wasn't so
busy they would be able to make them for me, but it was a very busy night,
over the holidays, and she just couldn't guarantee that they would be safe
for me.  So, I guess I was lucky that she knew what she was talking about,
but I was very disappointed!
Jan

We've eaten PF Chang's GF lettuce wraps 3 times in the last 2 months at 2
different California locations - neither celiac reacted, so this problem is
probably specific to your location.

Haven't had the Lettuce Wraps but must share with you that I do have
problems sometimes with lettuce served in restaurants....I find it so
odd...and can only imagine that the lettuces are either sprayed or
wilted...which seems to change the composition.

I get the lettuce wraps all the time at the Cincinnati PF Chang's and have
never had a problem.  I wonder what it is.  they must be doing something
wrong and I hope they figure it out for you.  That is one of the
highlights of my life.

I've never gotten sick at PF Changs, but I did have a run in with the
regional manager over how my local restaurant handled a problem I had. The
shrimp looked battered and deep fried in the Singapore Street noodles and
the waitstaff and chef handled it rudely when I asked for another platter.

Regional manager, whom I emailed through the main website, was most
accommodating.

I do find that the flavor varies with the chef and sometimes the gf stuff
is
tasteless. It was much better when they first opened.

I can't speak for the Boston PF Changs, but I can say that my daughter has
ordered the gf chicken lettuce wraps many times at the PF Changs in White
Plains, NY and at the one in Rockville, MD and has never reacted to them.
Don't know how helpful that info might be to you, but I thought I'd pass it
along.