From:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:18:09 -0600

Hi all,

This info might be of interest to those of you in the Chicago area...

A new Flemings Steakhouse opened up near me in Lincolnshire IL a few weeks
ago.  I also believe there will be one opening in Chicago soon.  They are
a chain with many locations in the east.   I have been to their Richmond,
Va location many times while visiting family there.

They have gluten (and other allergy info... like peanuts, etc...) info on
their website and a one page sheet that they give you at the restaurant
(order salad without coutons, etc...).  My experience in Richmond has
always been good and they seem to be aware of cross-contamination issues.

We went to the new one by us this last Sat and had a very nice, and
successfully gluten-free, experience.  We were a little nervous becuase
they had only been open a few weeks and it always seems to take a new
place a coupld of months to get the bugs worked out and the service up to
snuff.

The hostess was aware of the 'gluten free' thing but our server was not.
He went to ask and brought me the one page menu notes.  They really have
lots of great gluten free options.  And many of the sauces, etc... are
also gluten free, which is a nice change from having to have everything
'plain'.  (There was a special fish that included a rissotto and I asked
him to check with the chef.  He came back to say that he was told that the
rissotto had gluten in it.  I wonder wether the chef was worried about the
'glutenous' rice?  It always worries me when the chef does not have a
basic understanding of wheat vs rice glutens, etc...., especially at a
high end restaurant!)  My only dessert option was fresh berries....
boring... so I passed and was tortured by my dining companions splittling
a huge baked alaska!

I would highly reccomend this place.

The other local Chicago steakhouse with a gluten free menu is Wildfire and
they have a location right across the street from this new Flemings!  I
hope they BOTH get a lot of gluten-free business!
(ps Flemings is a bit more pricey than Wildfire).

Pam
in the northern burbs of Chicago