From:
Jackie/Joe Oliveri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie/Joe Oliveri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:03:16 -0800

This message needs to be shared with everyone possible so feel free to pass it on to those you know....
  Last night my family ate dinner at the Storyteller Restaurant in the Grand California Hotel at Disneyland.  My granddaughter order Gluten Free Pizza. She is 5 and also Type 1 diabetic.  When the pizza came I cut it and noticed a little black looking powder on the plate, and assumed it was the from the bottom of the pizza crust..... not thinking anything else...... my granddaughter ate 2 of the 4 pieces and when she picked up the 3rd  piece she felt something strange and turned the piece over to find the (charcoal) preservative package (approx. 2 inch by 2 inch) that the Gluten Free Pantry packages in with their pre-made GF pizza crust..... It was stuck to the bottom and apparently from the heat it had opened to release the "black" powder..... the scary part was that it clearly said DO NOT EAT on the silver package..... to make a long story short..... the Disney nurse immediately called poison control and accertained that the power was not poisonous..... it is the product they use
 to keep the mosture out of the bread product. It is also what they would give someone who overdoses to absorb everything in the stomach.  They assured us it would not affect the insulin she had received prior to eating her pizza.  It was a horrible mistake, fortunately there was no harm done, Masie is fine, but it certainly taught both sides a valuable lesson..... we will check Masie's food from now on, and their chefs will never make that error again.  They were extremely apologetic and concerned and took full liability.  We will definately go back to the Storyteller Restaurant to eat again, we love it there.  I do intend to make Gluten Free Pantry aware of this too, and perhaps they can add a warning of removal on the front of the packaging.....
  Jackie
  Los Angeles  (Nana to Masie, dx Celiac March '05/Type 1 June '03)