Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:24:38 -0800

There were a couple of individuals who thought that all dried fruit was GF, but info from others verifies that, just like with most other foods, you have to contact the company. A list of companies is below. Some of the concerns are as follows:

  1. OAT FLOUR - "Occassionally dried fruit has gluten on it....Dates, especially chopped dates, sometimes have oat flour on them to keep them from sticking. The coconut rolled dates that are sold in bulk at some speciality stores such as MOMS have oat flour on them....There is at least [one] dried fruit at Trader Joe's that isn't gluten free -- on [their] list."

  2. CROSS-CONTAMINATION - "I am *very* sensitive and my experience was that I was having reactions frequently, but not always, after eating dried fruits. My local "farmer's market" type store suddenly started labeling their in-store packaged dried fruit with information about what else was produced in the dried fruit plant. some items listed wheat and some others did not. I started buying only those items which listed no wheat and never had a reaction again."

  3. UNLISTED INGREDIENTS - "...For instance, the dried cherries from Mariani has a greasy feel to me, but there is no fat listed on the list. And, another brand (I've forgotten what), seemed to be exactly the same, but they did list glycerol. So, I sent an e-mail to Mariani and they did say there is glycerol in it. But they still did not disclose the source of the glycerol, since it can be made from any fat. Since I am intolerant of all seed oils, I can see why I could not tolerate it."

  NON-GF ADVICE:
"...I had a friend who got some kind of worm problem from eating dried dates or figs from India. So if you eat dry fruit, know it comes from a safe place or cook it."

  "I boil [the dried fruit] first, briefly, then dry it on paper towels that I change several times, overnight, so it doesn't get moldly in the refrigerator. That makes it easier to digest, softens it, and perhaps takes out some of the preservatives."

  GF DRIED FRUIT (verified with company):
Sunkist - all fruit
Dole - all fruit
Mariani - all fruit
Wal-Mart raisin are labeled GF
Sunmain Raisins

  OTHERS BELIEVED TO BE GF:
Sunsweet - all fruits
Amport - Dates

  NOT GF:
Craisins - according to company
Andromeda dates - floured conveyer belts

  you can also find product lists on Delphi Forums: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start

  Thanks for all the input.
  Angela Taylor
  Tulsa, Oklahoma