From:
Michael Wurster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 14:38:54 -0700
Daniel,
First, some more questions....
1. Are you building this computer as a learning experience, or trying to
save some money?
2. When you say working with a digital camera, does this include
something like Photoshop?
3. Is there a time frame involved?

Now, my opinions!
If you're looking for a learning experience (complete with frustrations)
the best way is to buy used parts and figure it all out as you go.
Identifying components and finding the correct drivers/compatibility/etc
will provide you with a fantastic education as well as a boat-load of
possible frustrations, not to mention scratching a bald spot or two on
your head. Note: This may not be the least expensive way to do things,
but I always figure learning costs SOMETHING so I jokingly call the
extra cost "tuition". If  this doesn't sound like much fun, then
wandering thru some of the better hardware sites (google hardware
reviews) will give you some idea as to what you need for your intended
purpose as well as bringing up compatibility issues. If you REALLY have
modest needs, ie no Photoshop, then just buy a 4-5 hundred dollar
machine and forget the bells and whistles. You don't need SLI, hotrod
processors, RAID or any fancy displays. A CRT still displays photos
better than all but the most expensive LCD displays. As to MP3s, what
type of quality are you looking for in sound? Just ripping a CD to MP3
degrades the quality of sound so it's kind of a catch 22 to play MP3s on
a high quality system. Most newer motherboards have decent sound on
board. Older motherboards may not have sound at all so you have to pick
a soundcard. Speakers seem to have the most effect here...cheap sounds
cheap. Hope I haven't confused you even more...LOL    Michael