From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:08:18 -0900
Another major factor in the global warming debate is deforestation.
Clearing massive acreage that was once rainforest is a double-whammy.
The agriculture that takes place on the cleared land adds to the
problem, as has been described previously, and the reduction in
rainforest acreage limits the earth's ability to convert carbon dioxide
back into oxygen.  One blip I heard on NPR explained how clearing
rainforest messes with the global carbon cycle even more than feedlot
meat production or petroleum use.

Lisa Sporleder