From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:21:11 -0700
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:44:30 -0700, C. Kuni <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do paleo-dieters need to worry about pH balance?
> http://www.drbob4health.com/HealthDisorders/phBalancingSimplified.htm

I've done a little reading on this subject, including the Baroody book.
Since all significant protein sources are acid-forming (that's because
of the amino acids and how they're processed by the body), I think
the recommendation in this page of 80% alkaline-forming and 20%
acid-forming
is off base.  Acid-Alkaline balance is often used by fanatic vegetarians
to "prove" that we all get sick if we eat any meat, ignoring the fact that
beans and grains are also acid-forming.

There are many variations in the charts of what is acid and alkaline
forming.  For instance almonds are considered acid-forming by some people,
and alkaline-forming by others. Fat in foods does not affect acid-alkaline
balance.

My take-away on this for paleo eaters is:  If you avoid all grains, beans
and dairy, and eat a good amount of fruits and vegetables daily, and keep
your protein
intake in the 30-35% range (that means making up some of the difference
with fat), you won't be in trouble with acid-alkaline balance.  You can
get the pH urine strips to check up on yourself.  I have a feeling that
people's pH reactions vary, depending on digestive strength, general
health, stress level, and many other things.