From:
"Dr. R Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:26:31 -0700

Philip said:

>There are some interesting topics in the UK report, and there are some that
appear to contradict the Paleolithic/evolutionary theory of nutrition, such
as "Other key issues include the possible importance of cereal foods in
wholegrain form." It appears the report mainly looks at foods individually,
rather than developing an underlying explanatory model, as Tanchou and Boyd
Eaton did. Until scientists recognize and test the Paleolithic nutrition
model, or develop a better one, their efforts in nutrition will be stuck in
the current trial-and-error, hit-or-miss mode.     >Progress is being made
in this way, but at an excruciatingly slow pace, with one step backward for
every two forward.

There are so many miscues, as with the widespread advocacy of whole grains
for cancer prevention and dairy products for their highly bioavailable
calcium, that I'm not even sure that any  progress is being made within that
paradigm. The reports I have looked at that advocate whole grains for cancer
prevention are hopelessly mired in preconceived notions. Their methods are
usually flawed in data collection, analysis, and interpretation. Similarly,
reports advocating dairy as a valuable source of calcium frequently ignore
all other facets of this questionable food. They even fail to acknowledge
that increased calcium absorption may limit absorption of competing
minerals. Magnesium, for instance, is critical to parathyroid and thyroid
function, and have an enormous impact on bone density. Yet conventional
wisdom has women swamping their systems with calcium via dairy products. Not
surprisingly, I have not been able to find a single report that shows
reduced fracture rates among women who eat the recommended quantities of
dairy products.

>Your hypothesis fits well with Paleo nutrition, Ron, and targets some of
the most harmful foods.

Thank you. It does overestimate (by today's data) the increased risk of T
cell lymphomas among celiac patients, and it fails to account for in-vitro
antibody reactions to lymphoma cells in the sera of treated and untreated
celiac patients. Nonetheless, I think there the hypothesis may point to an
element of our increasing death rates due to many types of cancers. It also
suggests one of the important benefits of paleolithic eating.

Best Wishes,
Ron