From:
Carrie Coineandubh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:28:16 -0800
 You can find Cordain's arguments in favor of canola oil here:=20=
> > http://thepaleodiet.com/faqs,

*** I find that argument illogical. Rapeseed is a member of the cabbage
family, and people have been eating cabbage since before historic times.
Therefore a heavily processed oil from a genetically engineered crop is a
good food choice? I have read his book, and enjoyed it, but find some of his
recommendations and conclusions... well... wrong.

I am not in the saturated fat ba-a-a-a-ad, unsaturated fat go-o-o-od camp
myself. I find the science interesting, but I let technology be my guide in
food choices. If it needed technology to make it, I'm not eating it. If
climate permitted, I could grow olive trees and make my own olive oil. I do
make my own raw butter (with a little help from the goats). I could not grow
canola/rapeseed and make my own canola oil, so I'm not eating the stuff no
matter how "good" the fatty acid profile looks.

>  I'm guessing that Paleolithic peoples didn't add any cooking oil

*** Maybe not the way we use it today, but it seems clear that fat would
have been prized and not trimmed off the lean meat the way Cordain
recommends.

--Carrie