From:
Theta Sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:19:47 -0700
Also check works by Richard MacKarness: /Eat Fat to Grow Thin/
[available on Internet - do a search] - he talks of saturated versus
un-, etc.  I can recommend Stefansson's /The Fat of The Land/ if you can
find a copy of that now rare book.  Maybe as an estimate of the fat
ratios, this may help:  Stefansson mentions a "course dinner" that he
devised for hosts to serve him during his 1-year experiment of meat-only
diet (under medical supervision and measurement) and contained the
following:

"Hors d'oeuvres: caviar served on slices of white chicken breast each
about the size and thickness of a fifty-cent piece.
Soup: Broth made by boiling meat-in some cases bone.
Fish: Any kind of fish boiled or baked; if fried, then in bacon fat.
Entree: Lamb chops. Most hostesses preferred to garnish with bacon.
Dessert: Gelatin, solely of meat origin and made according to a recipe
which I got hold of somewhere.
Demi-tasse: black coffee"   (...or black tea, both often eschewed by
Stefansson, and drank small amounts only to satisfy the hostess)
[Note the absence of eggs and dairy.]

Note also that he and his team members ate a meat-only diet for more
than 5 years during expeditions - not under any type of medical
supervision.    During some extended periods of time, fish were not
available so Caribou and other red meat were exclusively eaten.  The
1-year experiment was just a test for the "public" eye.

He also mentions a friend, Earl Parker Hanson who spoke of pemmican:
Type A 80% of calories from fat and 20% calories from lean (meaning a
ratio of 50-50 by weight); Type B was 70% calories from fat and 30% from
lean; Type C 60% of calories from fat and 40% lean.  He describes 3/4
pound per day of Type A as"absolutely satisfying", whereas eating well
over one pound per day of Type C would leave him still feeling hungry,
with a craving for fat.  He allowed that his 'cravings' constantly
demanded a high fat content, of around 75 to 80 per cent of fat by calories.

Regards,

-=mark=-