NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Colleen Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:40:00 -0500
Singulair is not an inhaled medication.  It is a tablet. Colleen Barrett> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:22:01 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: kosher markings, lactose in medications> To: [log in to unmask]> > Hi --> > With respect to kosher markings: Generally speaking, some hechshers > (kosher supervisors) are better than others. I go into this in some > detail on my web site, but the rule of thumb is that a large hechsher > (such as OU) combined with a large manufacturer (such as Kellogs) is a > very good bet for safety, whereas a local hechsher vetting a small > manufacturer, such as a local bakery, is less reliable from the allergy > standpoint. However, I purchase baked goods from a local parve (no milk > EVER) kosher baker in my area, and everything there is safe and > delicious. That's because the baker NEVER uses milk products, so> cleaning between runs isn't an issue.> > With respect to medications ... even pharma-grade lactose is rarely > 100% casein-free. Whether it's a problem for you depends upon your > personal tolerance for casein. However, inhaled lactose (as in > Singulair) should not be a problem for someone who is lactose > intolerant (rather than any kind of milk-allergic). That's because > lactose intolerance is a digestive issue. If the lactose isn't in the > digestive system, there should be no issue. In the small quantity > present in medications, the lactose should not be an issue for most > people anyway, since most people who are lactose intolerant (not all, > of course) still> have a little bit of the digestive enzyme lactase in their systems ... > just not enough for most purposes. And a lactaid pill (whatever they're > called?) should solve the problem for the rest of you.> > My web site refers to one compounding pharmacy, but there are others. > Sometimes your own neighborhood pharmacy may be able to recommend a > local one.> > I hope these thoughts help,> --Beth Kevles> Eating without Casein webmaster> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html> I am not a doctor, so none of the preceding is medical advice. > Consult with your own practitioner.> > > ________________________________________________________________________> More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - > http://webmail.aol.com>
http://biggestloser.msn.com/