NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Justine Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:20:25 -0500
Hi.

I've got a bunch of questions.

What's an anaphylactic response look like?

Also, what are the typical range of reactions -- from not very allergic to
very allergic (which I'm guessing is anaphylactic).  I'm trying to get a
sense of the range and severity b/c as I said in an earlier post, my ped has
been pretty laissez-faire so far.

Liam had flecks of blood in his poopy diapers when he was a baby before I
changed my diet (he's breastfed), he gets occasional red dotty rash on his
back and chest and sometimes face (I haven't been able to link it to a
specific food, and it was more common when he was littler), and his skin
gets red and swollen around his mouth and lips and his mouth and throat seem
to bother him whenever he has had milk or yogurt or things made with
noticeable amounts of milk or yogurt.

On the other hand, he seems to love peanut butter (which I know is highly
allergenic, his dad gave it to him...).  And he hasn't had any kind of
reaction to that.  Can an allergic reaction suddenly start when there's been
no reaction before?

Thanks very much in advance for your responses.

--Justine