ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:43:55 -0500
Brad,
         While it hurts, I have to say that I do see how the Lord is
getting a lot of glory in our dealings with Chris.  Our congregation
consists of mostly older attenders, probably bordering on
the  depression generation.  Most of them have lost there kids, the
baby boomer generation to the faith.  Many of them feel like failures
and have given up trying to evangelize or talk about their faith at
all because, they are asking themselves,  if they couldn't convince
their kids, how can they convince anybody?  Also, their generation
was taught to keep a stiff upper lip and put a good face on things
so, even when you're burning up, smile and don't
complain!  GRIN!  Greg and I haven't done that.  We've been
real.  The people have seen me cry, in public, horror of horrors,
over our situation and they've seen us pray and continually try knew
things.  We share the successes, such as our dinner with Chris last
night, along with our failures.  While I wish it weren't us, I
believe that our lives have given them some encouragement to continue
hoping and praying, and in some cases, sharing the hope that is
within them to others.
         Also, Greg and I have gained a lot of sensitivity which is
finally moving us, maybe, in a direction, to help others.  We've just
started doing marriage counselling this week with a couple that is
really having a tough go of it, but we've been able to come at their
problems with an attitude of, we're walking with you, not above you
with all the answers.  They've been responding well and if this
family does manage to stay together, the Lord be praise for using us
as instruments of healing.  they've seen us be real and I believe
that that helps them to be more comfortable.
         I can't help but give God glory and praise when Chris shows
me what unconditional love looks like and I become amazed that, no
matter how low I'm willing to go in my love for Chris, Jesus went
even lower to love and rescue me.  I have learned so much about God's
love by parenting Chris and I am free in sharing   what I have
learned with others.  God gets the glory in that as well.
         With my blindness, while I don't really like being this
example, I know that other people are encouraged to keep trying when
they see how hard I work to try to master or achieve something.  If
I, through my weakness, can inspire others to try harder to serve,
then it is really God who is being served in the end and He receives
the glory for it.
         Don't get me wrong.  I'd rather be healed.  I'd rather be an
example of the miraculous power of Jesus Christ.  I get so confused
by the passages that tell us to, "ask anything in His name."  I ask,
but do not receive.  It reminds me of the song, "If I were a rich
man," from the musical, "fiddler on the Roof."  The father asks,
"Would it spoil some vast eternal plan if I were a wealthy man?  I
often ask God, "Would it really make such a big difference in your
vast scheme of things if I could see?"  The singer goes on to lay out
all the things that he could do if he were rich.  I talk to the Lord
about all the ways that I could be more affective if I could
see.  For now, I guess that the Lord's answer is "no."  I don't know
if it is because I don't have enough faith or because I am more
useful to Him in my present condition.  I wish I did know so that, I
could quit bugging God and just move on.  but, I don't know, so I
continue to make my request and still serve and do what I can and
pray that, I will get my anser.  I'd prefer it in this life and I'd
prefer it to be what I want, but my head tells me that I may not be
afforded that luxury.
         In our devotions the other day was this quote, "Keep
praying, but be grateful that God's answers are wiser than some of
your petitions."  (William Culbertson)  I guess that that is what I
have to trust  in in the end.
Kathy