From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:55:46 -0700
As you know the Intel D865GVHZ has three bus speeds and supports three
memory speeds. Since the CPU has a Bus speed of 533MHz, the motherboard
will operate at 533MHz. I would have suspected that the memory would be
automatically operating at 266 (which DDR doubles to 533 to match the
bus speed). I don't know why it is indicated at 333. Maybe the BIOS
memory speed is a manual rather than an automatic setting and it should
be set to 266. It probably does not make any difference since, as I
understand it, the RAM will only operate at 266.

The DDR400 will only operate at 400 if the Bus speed is 800MHz. It does
not hurt to have RAM capable of 400 operate at 266. And, from what I've
seen the PC3200 DDR400 is normally cheaper than the slower speeds.

As to  using RAM in dual channel mode, the memory sticks should be pre
tested and sold by the manufacturer as a "matched" pair. I have heard of
persons successfully using two of the same sticks without they being a
"matched" pair.  However, the memory could prove to be unstable in dual
channel mode and the computer would have to be reset to single channel
mode. I have not researched the performance difference between single
and dual channel modes.

TigerDirect.com currently has Ultra PC3200 DDR400 512MB on sale for
$19.99 after rebate. It is cheap to try.

Tom Mayer

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
> Re: pc3200 ddr400 memory speed
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a new build:
>
> Mboard : Intel D865gvhz
> cpu    : Celeron D 345 (3.06 mhz)
> memory : Ultra pc3200 ddr400 512 mb (1 stick)

> Motherboard Specifications:
>
> Front Side Bus:
> 400MHz
> 533MHz
> 800MHz
>
> Memory :
> Number of Slots            2
> Number of Pins             184-Pin
>
> Maximum Memory Supported   2GB
>
> Memory Supported:
> DDR266 (PC2100)
> DDR333 (PC2700)
> DDR400 (PC3200
>

> The Intel AMI bios sez:
>
> System Bus Speed    : 533
> System Memory Speed : 333
> Memory Mode         : Single Channel
>
> I am not certain what the bios is telling me. What is
> the "System Bus" if not the memory bus? Shouldn't
> the ddr400 memory in a ddr400-supported board have
> a mem speed of 400 mhz?
>
> Would also appreciate any info on improved performance
> (i.e. memory throughput) I might expect if I added
> an additional stick of near-identical memory for
> Dual Channel.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Peetie
>
>              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                     support at our newest website:
>                          http://freepctech.com

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads