BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

B-P Golden Oldies: "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 14:44:11 -0500
Dan,

Objective note on vapor permeability:

The Sealants Waterproofing and Restoration Institute (SWR) has developed a
testing and validation protocol for wall coatings. Part of their protocol
involves ASTM E96 testing of permeability at the specified film
thickness/application rate for each product being evaluated. The testing is
all done by DL Laboratories in New York City, and they are supposed to test
actual production materials taken off the distributor's store shelf, rather
than samples prepared specially by the manufacturers.

So my point is that while some heavy acrylic latex elastomeric coatings may
only test out at 3-5 perms (still in the breathable range), others test out at
10 times that rate. The one of ours we had tested, applied in two coats/69%
solids/100 sq.ft. per gal. tested out at 30.8 perms. Our internal testing came
up a little higher (42 perms), but lab-to-lab reproducibility of permeability
test data is notoriously bad, varying by as much as 75%. A popular silicate
coating also tested by DL outide of the SWR program came in at 18 perms, and
that manufacturer claims something like 98 or 99% breathability.

I am not a big fan of reinforcement in general, but clearly, as you build more
film to saturate the mesh, permeability is reduced. But to answer the
question, yes, you can formulate coatings of this type for higher or lower
permeability, and that is a key difference between properly formulated
elastomeric wall coatings and elastomeric roof coatings, even if they share
very similar chemistry.

As for your "Rhino Truth-O-Meter" flashing you all kinds of warnings, I would
say your instincts are right on target. Personally, I can't stomach this kind
of marketing drivel.

Mike E.