From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 08:52:49 -0700
On 7 Oct 2005 at 22:37, Anne Smith wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have an old much loved 286 computer that I wish to store for a while
> (could be months, not sure).
>
> The battery on the mobo is a normal AA battery.
>
> Should I remove it in case it leaks and destroys the works - would it
> render the CMOS useless and lose all the info on it?
>
> Or is it best to leave in place?
>
> Or should I just install a brand new battery before storing and hope for
> the best?
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly received.
>
> Anne

  On many 286s, the CMOS configuration settings are entered, not via ROM
code, but by booting with a special disk supplied by the manufacturer.  For
a few very popular models, you can find copies of those disks on the web;
for any others, I fear that if the CMOS loses power you may never get it
working again.  (Having the disk is only half the story -- machines of that
vintage typically needed hand configuration of things like drive geometry
that are detected automatically on more recent systems.  So in order to
restore the settings, you'll need to know what they're supposed to be....)

David Gillett

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads