Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:06:48 -0500
Hi Stephanie,

For the type of backup you want to do, especially of the C: drive which you
can't just simply copy, I recommend an imaging program. I use and recommend
Symantec's Norton Ghost. It's simple, easy to use, and won't cost you an arm
or a leg. I use version 2003 which is included in Symantec Norton System
Works 2003 Professional Edition. Ghost will backup to another partition, an
external hard drive, or removable media such as DVD. You can get an OEM
version here for $8.00 plus shipping:

Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional Edition - OEM CD Sleeve
Package:
http://store.yahoo.com/pctekonline/symnorsys20p.html

Ghost can be installed without installing the complete System Works package
which I recommend unless you are a die-hard Symantec (Norton) fan and are
aware of the problems associated with some of their products. System Works
2005 Premier, which includes Ghost 2005, is available and can sometimes be
found free or for very little on sale and after rebates. System Works 2005
won't allow Ghost to be installed without installing the complete System
Works. If you should decide to go this route I can send you instructions for
installing only Ghost.

Back in January I had a power supply blow and it took two hard drives and a
graphics card with it. After replacing the drives and card, a Ghost backup
on DVD had my system (C: drive) restored to the state it was in before the
incident in approximately 30 minutes. As a precautionary measure, I always
make two backups to two locations (USB external drive and DVD). I also use
Second Copy 2000 for my routine data backups. Here are some links for
additional reading and information on some other programs:

Backups For Win98/ME/NT/2K/XP:
http://www.langa.com/backups/backups.htm

LangaList Std Edition 2003-07-03:
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-07-03.htm

Second CopyŽ 2000 (Shareware $29.95):
http://www.centered.com/

SimpleTech StorageSync Backup and Restore Utility Software:
http://www.simpletech.com/commercial/storagesync/index.php

Good luck!
Sven Swanson, Sr.